SBWH Podcast Ep. #74: How to Reform Your Inner Mean Girl with Amy Ahlers and Christine Arylo
This week we had the chance to interview Amy Ahlers and Christine Arylo, the co-founders of the Inner Mean Girl Reform School. Through their coaching and speaking they have helped thousands of women make more self-empowering, self-loving choices for their lives. We talk about getting to know your inner mean girl archetypes, reforming your mean girl so that she can work for you instead of against you, and getting to know your inner wisdom. You can listen using the player below or by subscribing in iTunes.
Our inner mean girls weren’t always standing in the way of living the lives we want. But somewhere along the line, usually at a young age (7 to 11 years old), they form for a reason. Maybe you were fearful, or angry, you felt unloved, or you were rejected. These inner mean girls arise from experiences such as these to protect you. As we get older these mean girls keep hanging around, but instead of protecting us and serving a useful purpose, they stand in our way and hold us back from living the life we dream of.
First thing is first, you have to know what your dealing with! Luckily, Amy and Christine provide a wonderful free tool, the Inner Mean Girl Quiz so that you can learn what mean girl archetypes you are up against. They them use the technique of personifying the inner mean girl, or giving her an identity. By making her a separate entity we can more readily identity when she is coming out to ‘play’.
In their new book, Reform Your Inner Mean Girl, Christine and Amy teach you how to use your inner mean girl to work for you, instead of against you. Unfortunately, our inner mean girls never really go away. Certain things may trigger her and she will come back up, for example in times of stress or uncertainty, in times where you are stretching yourself into new things, and in times of growth. Instead of letting the inner mean girl hijack your life, you can use these attacks as an alert to help you focus on what triggered you and allow you to dig deeper into yourself to find out what is going on and what you need. Instead of giving in, you can take back the power she has over you and use it to push you closer to where you want to be in your life.
The book also goes into meeting and listening to the other voice within you, your inner wisdom. Your inner wisdom is the powerful force of loving truth. This voice will lead you to the life that you want, but it is a matter of turning down the volume on our inner mean girl and reconnecting with the voice of our inner wisdom. There are many ways that this voice can come up for us, you might see it, feel it, hear it, or just know it! It is all a matter of tuning into this voice and trusting it so you can follow through with it. If you reform your inner mean girl and you reconnect with your inner wisdom, you can stop being at war with yourself and starting moving into the life you have envisioned.
Here are some of the things we talked about in the show:
- Maggie talked about the awesome OXO Good Grips Water Bottle Cleaning Set that Kelly has. It has a tool to get all the gunk out of your straw!
- Take the Inner Mean Girl Quiz to figure out which of the 13 mean girl archetypes you have. Tune in next week! We will be revealing the identities of our inner mean girls!
- You can buy Amy and Christine’s book, Reform Your Inner Mean Girl: 7 Steps to Stop Bullying Yourself and Start Loving Yourself, on Amazon.
- Once you buy your book you can go back to their website and get a free bonus kit with a jump start transformation workshop and an inner wisdom kit with meditations and videos.
- You can also check out their website for blog posts, courses, and events, such as the Inner Mean Girl Summer Camp event that was mentioned in the show.
- You can also connect with Christine and Amy on Facebook, Amy’s Twitter, Christine’s Twitter, or Pinterest.
- Have you signed up for our 12 week telecourse, Life by Design yet? This course will help you to get clarity on your vision for your life and to take action so you can reach your potential! It begins the first week of May. Register now!
- The SBWH Retreat is also in May! Join us May 15-17 at the beautiful Adams Eden Retreat Center in LaFayette, NY. Give yourself the time and space to uncover and shift negative thought patterns, make peace with your inner mean girl, and celebrate all of who you are. Register now!
- As always, we want to hear from you! Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Maggie’s Instagram, Kelly’s Instagram, and of course on our website.
Have a great week!
Kelly and Maggie