SBWH Podcast Ep. #69: An Intro to Functional Medicine with Dr. Pam Grover
This week we interview Dr. Pam Grover, a functional medicine doctor who practices in Rochester, NY. We talk about how she moved from traditional medicine to functional medicine, treating the root of the problem, and the power of food. You can listen using the player below or by subscribing in iTunes.
Dr. Pam Grover is a functional medicine doctor who focuses on the idea of wellness, instead of sickness. After getting a start in traditional medicine, Dr. Pam realized that she wanted to become the type of doctor who didn’t just intervene when her patients were ill, but instead helped patients prevent disease in the first place.
Her approach is to get to the root cause of a medical problem to get her patients well. In a way, she is an information translator–she learns about her patients history and symptoms and from there she deciphers what a patient can do to heal themselves.
Every patient is unique and needs a plan that works best for them, but in many cases food is a major contributor to wellness. Eating a clean diet that meets the needs of the individual is a powerful thing! Dr. Pam is a wonderful healthcare professional that has taken a fresh perspective on health and helped many people in the process.
Here are some of the things we mentioned in the show:
Dr. Pam’s List of Foods for Optimal Health
- Healthy Fats (ex. avocados, olive oil, etc.)
- Vegetables – Aim for 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day (Dr. Pam says to lean towards more veggies than fruit). They provide valuable antioxidants that prevent cancer! They also are a good source of protein.
- Animal Protein in moderation. She recommends about 20% of a person’s diet be animal protein.
- Dr. Pam suggested a book called Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
- Dr. Pam also mentioned Dr. Terry Wahls, who used food to manage her multiple sclerosis. Check out her book, The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine.
- Get in contact with Dr. Pam on her practice’s website, or by phone 585-773-4777.
- Have a question that you want Dr. Pam to answer in a future podcast? Write it in the comment section below or on our website.
- Have you signed up for our 12 week telecourse, Life by Design yet? This course will help you to get clarity on your vision for your life and to take action so you can reach your potential! Register now!
- As always, we want to hear from you! Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Maggie’s Instagram, Kelly’s Instagram, and of course on our website.
Have a great week!l
Maggie and Kelly